This week in
The Second District Scoop
May 14, 2014
And for the information:
1. Message from our President
- Message from our President
- ALL UNITS- please turn in your Annual Reports and New Officer Contact Lists
- May 19: New PTA Presidents Training, 6:30-9pm
- May 31: New PTA Officers Training, 8:30am-12:00pm
- Three easy ways you can make a difference for the Soda Tax
- Webinars: How to file with IRS, Registry of Charitable Trusts, and Franchise Tax Board (you all need to know how to do this)
Hello friends and fellow members,
The State PTA just hosted us in Los Angeles for their 115th convention. There were 75 workshops and hands-on training opportunities...we had a blast! Enjoy the picture attached. Next year the convention will be held in Sacramento - April 30 through May 3rd. Please mark your calendars and set aside 24 hours or an entire weekend to be inspired. Thank you!
Just a few reminders:
1) Please submit your new officers list to our VP of Communications at email@example.com. This is a State PTA requirement. Your earliest attention is appreciated.
2) next Monday, May 19th from 6:30 to 9pm is our President's Retreat and
3) Officer training is scheduled for Saturday May 31st, please forward this information to your leaders for 2014-2015 so they can register for both at www.sfpta.org.
4) Please forward your membership email lists to firstname.lastname@example.org. We promise to only use it with citywide announcements.
Request: Please print the Superintendent/President note attached and post it on your school bulletin board or in your PTA office. It's just a little note to say we appreciate your time and dedication!
Thank you for your time and efforts.
2. ALL UNITS: please turn in your annual report and new officers list TODAY
All PTAs in San Francisco must turn in their Annual Report by May 15th. Here is the form; you may send it in by mail or email to email@example.com. The most important part of this document is the record of your PTA's volunteer hours. Hopefully you have been tracking them throughout the year. If you haven't, please work with your volunteer leaders to make a good estimate. This number is important for us to be able to substantiate your work as a non-profit organization. What counts as volunteer hours? See this handy flyer for ideas!
We also need the contact information for all of your PTA's newly elected officers as soon as the election takes place so that we can make sure they have all the resources they need to be successful next year. You could say that by turning this information this month, you are giving your new board the best gift they could ask for! The officer contact list template can be found here (3rd form down) and is also attached. Please send the completed report to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not yet held your PTA elections, please send us a note letting us know when they will happen or if you need help/support.
A big THANK YOU to the following schools for turning in their New PTA Officers Contact List: Paul Revere, CIS De Avila, Marina, Longfellow, SF Public Montessori, Grattan, and Claire Lillenthal. We still need contact lists from 55 schools by tomorrow!
3. May 19: New PTA Presidents Training
Whether you are a new incoming president or have done this before, you won't want to miss this opportunity to get tools and resources for leading your PTA down the path to success! Join us on Monday, May 19, 2014 at 555 Franklin from 6:30-9:00pm. Register here. Please be sure to pass this information along to your newly elected PTA officers as well, so they won't miss it! If the president cannot come, please send someone in their place. This is also a great opportunity to connect and network with other PTAs.
4. May 31: New PTA Officers Training
Calling all new PTA officers for 2014-2015! Don't miss your chance to learn about your new role and how to do it well on Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 8:30-12:00 at the Chronicle Building on Mission and 5th Street. We will train you on bylaws, finances, and the following officer positions (anyone may attend any of the sessions):
Register now and pass this information to all your newly elected officers! If you can, stay for the Soda Tax information session immediately following the training. Lunch will be served at 12 and the session (described in detail below) will begin at 12:30.
5. Three easy ways you can make a difference for the Soda Tax
Momentum is building and we have THREE easy ways for you to make a difference for the Soda Tax.
- Add your PTA's name to the list of Soda Tax endorsers. Please do this at your final PTA meeting this school year! The district PTA has already endorsed this ballot measure, and to make the biggest impact, showing grassroots support, we'd like to make that list longer. We are asking each PTA unit executive board in San Francisco to consider adding that extra "oomph" by recommending this their membership at the final PTA meeting of the year. To be clear - your PTA has already endorsed this via the district PTA. You will just be showing that your PTA members support his effort enough to add the PTA's individual name to the list.
- "Like" the Soda Tax campaign on Facebook and follow it onTwitter. You will be able to keep up to date with the latest news and show your support.
- Attend an information session immediately following the May 31st officer training from 12:30-1:30pm. Lunch will be provided and you will have a chance to ask more questions of the campaign manager and other leaders in the effort so you will be better able to answer questions that come your way.
6. Webinars: How to file with IRS, Registry of Charitable Trusts, and Franchise Tax Board (you all need to know how to do this)
Have a great week!
-Second District PTA Executive Board