Second District PTA is holding a PTA officer training via Zoom on Saturday, May 21 for all new and continuing PTA officers and anyone else who is interested in learning more about running a PTA. Attending this training before the summer begins will help your PTA get organized and feel better prepared for the upcoming school year. Please share this information and registration link with next year’s officers and have them plan to attend, too! Interpretation provided with 72 hours advance notice.
- 9:00 am – Welcome, intro, and getting to know each other
- 9:30 am – Your Place in the PTA Picture: Learn what the PTA organization is about, how it works, where your PTA fits in, and some of PTA’s basic values, principles, and practices.
- 10:00 am – A Walk Through the Bylaws: So many questions we receive from PTAs can be answered by reading their bylaws! Your PTA’s bylaws are an important “first read” document to understand structures for decision-making, quorum, responsibilities, and more.
- 10:15 am – A Top Ten President’s Training: Not just useful for PTA Presidents, this session walks you through best practices and the most essential things a successful leader can do to help their PTA serve students, families and their school, and keep things running smoothly.
- 11:00 am – BREAK
- 11:10 am – Creating Communities of Belonging: The stressors many students, families, and staff members continue to experience increase the challenge of creating strong and caring communities. This session will cover ways to communicate, facilitate conversations, how to navigate conflict, build equitable spaces, and more.
- 11:45 am – Show Me the Money: Financial Training for the Whole Board: This session helps the full PTA board understand their shared fiduciary responsibility to manage the finances of the organization and maintain the community’s trust.
- 12:30 am – Officer Trainings Breakouts (choose one)
Here are some available resources you can share with your communities. Mention of any of these organizations does not imply endorsement by the Second District State PTA.
4-1-1 Wednesdays with the Second District PTA: These hour-long town halls were created and recorded to support our units and to connect leaders across the school district.
Second District PTA Executive Board
July 2021 – June 2023.
President: Melissa Mountain, Marina Middle School
Executive Vice President: Yvette Edwards, Sunnyside Elementary
Treasurer: Sheila Santos, Aptos Middle School and Lowell High School
Financial Secretary: Clare Kay, Everett Middle School
Secretary: Jessica Thompson, Galileo Academy of Science & Technology
Vice President, Leadership: Michelle Parker, Lowell High School
Vice President, Membership: Sally Blumenfeld, Lincoln High School
Vice President, Outreach: Girlie Aguilar, Bessie Carmichael Elementary
Vice President, Education: Rachel Gee, Alamo Elementary, Roosevelt Middle School
Auditor: Annie Chow, Washington High School
Historian: Liz Pascual, Sunnyside Elementary
Committee Chairs appointed by Board:
Arts Education & Advocacy Committee Chair: Suz Dehne, Ruth Asawa School of the Arts
Family Engagement: Antonina Real, Bessie Carmichael Elementary
Health and Safety: Nancy Buffum, Ruth Asawa School of the Arts
Reflections: Kevin Mauer, Sutro Elementary
Website: Sharon Ohlson, Roosevelt Middle School
Past President, Albert Ko, CIS DeAvila Elementary, Roosevelt Middle School, Lowell High School
Past Second District Board Members, Kari Gray, Carol Kocivar, Terry Norbury, Shellie Wiener
Vice President, Communications
Vice President, Legislation
If you are interested in any Committee positions, email Parliamentarian@sfpta.org
Founders Day Awards and Recognition Coordinator