These hour long information sessions were created to support our units and to connect leaders across the school district. Everyone is invited to attend, but pre-registration is required. The sessions are recorded so they can be viewed at a later date. Have ideas for 4-1-1 Wednesdays? Submit them here!
“How to Manage PTA Business During School Closures” (April 22, 2020)
Second District PTA Parliamentarian Melissa Mountain and past District Presidents discussed how to navigate PTA officer elections, voting, and other necessary business while San Francisco is under the shelter-in-place order.
SFUSD budget staff presented on the state of the district’s budget for the remainder of the school year, for the 2020-2021 academic year, and the impacts on school site budgets. Presenters included Chief Financial Officer Meghan Wallace, Deputy Superintendent Myong Leigh, and Director of Strategic Resource Planning Anne Marie Gordon. Some follow-up resources:
- Myong mentioned the upcoming Board of Education Budget Committee meeting next Wednesday (May 6) at 3pm where they will be presenting information related to their presentation this week. They post the meeting agenda here 72 hours before the meeting.
- Myong also mentioned the advocacy SFUSD is doing for federal stimulus funds as part of the Council of Great City Schools. Here is his tweet about the topic and the press release SFUSD released.
- Here is an article about budget concerns and the push for federal stimulus funds for K-12 education: Nearly 300,000 Teacher Jobs at Risk if Feds Don’t Step Up, Big Districts Warn
- Here is an article about the considerations for reopening schools: Returning to school buildings in the fall will be complicated. In some places, it’s far from clear it will happen
- Meghan and Anne Marie shared their slide deck presentation
Three topics will be covered – each for 20 minutes of the call. We ask you to bring your tips and questions to share with the group!
- How to fill vacancies for next year’s PTA officers
- How to build community online/virtually during school closures
- Creating a provisional budget for the 2020-2021 school year
Come learn about the latest news from the state legislature and ask your burning questions. Our guests will talk about supports the state has put in place for families during the COVID-19 crisis, the state budget, and current legislation. You can also submit questions ahead of time when you register.
Confirmed guests: Senator Scott Wiener, Assemblymember Phil Ting, and Assemblymember David Chiu
Register here and Click to share this event on your school Facebook page.
Listen in on the conversation with SFUSD Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews. We’ll talk about what the next school year might look like in terms of calendar, physical spaces, instructional models, etc.
Click the slide deck to view the information Dr. Matthews shared is. He also referenced the SFUSD website that shares resources available to families (school meals, help lines, etc.) during COVID-19.
“Advocating for School Funding“ (May 27)
We’ll split the night between two topics. First up: The PTA-endorsed state ballot initiative “Schools and Communities First” with Evolve California’s Ben Grieff. Second: Other funding opportunities at the local, state and federal levels with School Board President Mark Sanchez, and School Board Member and Mayor’s Education Advisor Jenny Lam. Register here and Click to share this event on your school Facebook page.