These hour long information sessions were created to support our units and to connect leaders across the school district. Everyone is invited to attend, but pre-registration is required. The sessions are recorded so they can be viewed at a later date. Have ideas for 4-1-1 Wednesdays? Submit them here!
“How to Manage PTA Business During School Closures” (April 22, 2020)
Second District PTA Parliamentarian Melissa Mountain and past District Presidents discussed how to navigate PTA officer elections, voting, and other necessary business while San Francisco is under the shelter-in-place order.
SFUSD budget staff presented on the state of the district’s budget for the remainder of the school year, for the 2020-2021 academic year, and the impacts on school site budgets. Presenters included Chief Financial Officer Meghan Wallace, Deputy Superintendent Myong Leigh, and Director of Strategic Resource Planning Anne Marie Gordon. Some follow-up resources:
- Myong mentioned the upcoming Board of Education Budget Committee meeting next Wednesday (May 6) at 3pm where they will be presenting information related to their presentation this week. They post the meeting agenda here 72 hours before the meeting.
- Myong also mentioned the advocacy SFUSD is doing for federal stimulus funds as part of the Council of Great City Schools. Here is his tweet about the topic and the press release SFUSD released.
- Here is an article about budget concerns and the push for federal stimulus funds for K-12 education: Nearly 300,000 Teacher Jobs at Risk if Feds Don’t Step Up, Big Districts Warn
- Here is an article about the considerations for reopening schools: Returning to school buildings in the fall will be complicated. In some places, it’s far from clear it will happen
- Meghan and Anne Marie shared their slide deck presentation
Three topics will be covered – each for 20 minutes of the call. We ask you to bring your tips and questions to share with the group!
- How to fill vacancies for next year’s PTA officers
- How to build community online/virtually during school closures
- Creating a provisional budget for the 2020-2021 school year
Come learn about the latest news from the state legislature and ask your burning questions. Our guests will talk about supports the state has put in place for families during the COVID-19 crisis, the state budget, and current legislation. You can also submit questions ahead of time when you register.
Confirmed guests: Senator Scott Wiener, Assemblymember Phil Ting, and Assemblymember David Chiu
Register here and Click to share this event on your school Facebook page.
Listen in on the conversation with SFUSD Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews. We’ll talk about what the next school year might look like in terms of calendar, physical spaces, instructional models, etc.
Click the slide deck to view the information Dr. Matthews shared is. He also referenced the SFUSD website that shares resources available to families (school meals, help lines, etc.) during COVID-19.
“Advocating for School Funding“ (May 27)
We’ll split the night between two topics. First up: The PTA-endorsed state ballot initiative “Schools and Communities First” with Evolve California’s Ben Grieff. Second: Other funding opportunities at the local, state and federal levels with School Board President Mark Sanchez, and School Board Member and Mayor’s Education Advisor Jenny Lam.
- The Ed100 blog post that was mentioned a few times that explains the budget situation and a few ways you can advocate for funding
- The letter SFUSD sent as part of the Council of Great City Schools to Congress about what they want to see included in the HEROES Act
- The letter Superintendent Matthews submitted to the State Legislature along with five other large CA districts
- The Resolution the Board of Education passed on Tuesday night supporting the HEROES Act
- The Schools and Communities First website and info page and the slide deck that Ben Grieff shared
What can you and your PTA members do today?Here is a short list and we’ll send a more complete list soon:
- LOCAL: Send a note to your supervisor (find who that is, here) to let them know that the school board passed a resolution Tuesday to ask the Board of Supervisors to allocate ERAF to the school district because we cannot risk the harm that the cuts will have on our students. This can be a very short email saying basically what I just wrote. We may do something more on this later.
- STATE: Many, many elected leaders and organizations have endorsed the Schools and Communities First ballot measure, but Governor Newsom has not. We need his support and leadership. Please sign this petition to urge him to get behind this important mechanism for funding important services in our schools and communities.
- FEDERAL: Sign this petition urging Congress to allocate funding to public education to keep essential programs for students from being cut and to prevent layoffs
Are you trying to figure out what information to share as you leave your current PTA officer position and hand it off to the person who will take on the same role next year? We’ve got you. Looking for a checklist and wonder what to do and when? We’ve got you. Do you want to make it as non-overwhelming as possible? We’ve got you. Looking for help on seemingly small questions? We’ve got you. This meeting is for all PTA officers who served this past year and/or will serve next year.
- The Must-Do lists:
- The Nice-To-Do tasks:
Here are the links we shared last night. Please feel free to share them with anyone who might find them useful.
- Video recording of the meeting
- Document with all the ideas you shared in the breakout groups about we can collectively do to support our schools
- SFUSD’s Fall Learning Plan (this is high level; a more detailed guide will be shared in the coming week or two)
- Presentation made to the school board about the Fall Learning Plan
- MANY resources for families from SFUSD during COVID
- Information about the SFUSD Family Resource Link and what is available through that (to get help, you can complete a form, send an email to email@example.com or call them between 9am and 1pm at 415-340-1716)
- FAQ about SFUSD and in-person cohorts/pods
- Resources from Common Sense Media for parents during distance learning, including how to use Google Classroom, a Zoom Guide, and more
Please also make sure all the families at your schools have their current contact information in their ParentVue accounts. Many middle and high school parents do, and many elementary school parents do not. Information about how to make sure you’re signed up and how to change your preferences can be found here.*Important: To receive text messages from SFUSD, you must have your cell phone number listed as a cell phone in ParentVue
“Fall 2020 Status Session with Dr. Matthews” (August 5)
The SFUSD Board of Education approved a fall learning plan on July 28. Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews will join PTA members to share more details about this plan and to answer questions. There will be interpretation provided in Spanish and Cantonese (this site will be updated on Monday once the details are worked out). Please submit any questions ahead of time through the meeting registration by Sunday, August 2. Please share this Facebook event on your school sites.
“Launching a Virtual PTA Membership Campaign” (August 12)
Building community is as important as ever as we enter the fall with remote instruction because of the pandemic. Learn how to run a PTA membership campaign and which digital tools are available to support communication and connection with your school community. Register here and submit any questions you may have.